Image Evie S. via Unsplash
Carbon Positive Australia a non-profit environment charity has created a free step-by-step online calculator, that will help you understand your personal carbon footprint, and provides facts, tips and practical steps to reduce your emissions.
“There is the saying that if you want to go fast, go alone, but if you want to go far, go together, and tackling climate change is something we should do together. It is not up to one individual, and it certainly isn’t something we can do on our own. We should be empowering and encouraging one another; within our families, in our friendship circles, with our colleagues at work, to make small changes to better this Earth”. – Lauren Purcell, Donor Engagement & Campaign Coordinator for Carbon Positive Australia
How does it work?
Your carbon footprint is calculated retrospectively based on your lifestyle and resource consumption for a specific period. You can calculate your footprint for the past month, 3 months, or year.
You’ll be asked to choose which categories you would like to include in your calculation:
- Travel (long-distance travel including road, air, rail & ocean)
- Energy (electricity and other utilities)
- Water (state water supply)
- Transport (local travel via vehicles and public transport)
- Food and Drink (household grocery and dining)
- By category or diet type (omnivore, pescatarian, vegetarian and vegan)
- Waste (general waste disposal)