“As we saw through the outpouring of well-meaning generosity for bushfire-affected communities, unsolicited donated items create mountains of waste and headaches for charities that are forced to use limited finances and volunteers to sort, store or dispose of the donations,” – GIVIT CEO Sarah Tennant.
At this stage, the immediate need for vulnerable Australians are toiletries, grocery vouchers, and home-schooling items. Many are struggling due to panic buying, on top of the virus’ economic effect exacerbating existing hardships and challenges for disadvantaged and vulnerable communities.
Items most needed:
- Toiletries, personal hygiene items & non-perishable grocery items
- Items to support home-schooling (stationary to laptops)
- Games & art supplies – to keep families entertained during social isolation
- Beds, linen & small appliances – to help households who are caring for additional family members/friends.
- Mobile phones – to help isolated persons remain connected and access the internet for vital support services.
GIVIT’s real-time “Items Needed” list grows daily and shows exactly what’s needed in your town/suburb.
To donate items, services or cash to help Australians impacted by Coronavirus, please pledge online at GIVIT.org.au. 100% of donated funds to GIVIT’s ‘COVID-19 Appeal’ will be used to purchase urgently needed items.