Save Your Watermelon Rinds With These Delicious Smoothie Cubes
Stop throwing away the watermelon rinds! They’re actually edible!
These watermelon rind smoothie cubes are not only delicious but also an easy way to utilise every part of the fruit and reduce food waste.
In Australia alone, we throw out about 2.5 million tonnes of food each year.
And when we throw out any part of the food, we’re also wasting labour, water, energy, and resources it took to get the produce from the farm to our table.
So why throw something away when you can eat it?
Can you actually eat Watermelon rind?
The rinds on their own are quite flavourful and taste a little like cucumber, making them the perfect base for sweet and tropical smoothies.
Plus, like the peels on most fruits and vegetables, the rinds, stems or peels, are packed full of nutrients like vitamin c, and potassium, and rich in fibre.
Watermelon Rind Smoothie Cubes
I love making smoothie cubes from odds and ends of fruit and veggies to store in the freezer for quick, easy, and healthy breakfasts.
I filmed my first try at making these waste-free smoothie cubes, you can watch this video here for tips and see my first taste test.
Making these cubes is easy.
- Chop the watermelon rind into small pieces; this makes them easier to blend.
- Add the chopped rinds in a high-powered blender – this is the one I use – with 2 cups of water and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a silicone ice cube tray – these ones are the perfect size to make smoothie cubes – then freeze overnight.
- I like to store the cubes in these silicone pouches.
These will keep in the freezer for up to three months.
Tropical Smoothie Recipe
To use the watermelon rind cubes – this serves 2.
- 2 watermelon rind cubes
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 2 cups of coconut water
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- Place all the ingredients except the protein powder in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Then add the protein powder and blend for 10 seconds until it’s just combined. Any longer will make the smoothie checked hard to drink through a straw.
- Serve and enjoy!