These Vegan Smoky BBQ Tacos Are Quick, Easy And So Delicious
Looking for a vegan alternative to pulled pork tacos?
Say hello to jackfruit.
Jackfruit is a tropical fruit and when it’s young it has a shredded, pulled pork consistency, making it a perfect plant-based substitute for meat. Jackfruit has no distinct flavour of its own meaning it will take on the flavour of whatever saices or spices you cook it in.
You can find tinned jackfruit in any supermarket (Coles or Woolies) or health food store and it’s reasonably inexpensive at around $3 a can. Which actually makes it quite a bit cheaper than pork.
This was my first time trying jackfruit and as someone who indulges in pork occasionally, I was pleasantly surprised at how great these tasted. They even received the tick of approval from the meat-loving hubby.
Serve up with a side of margaritas and your Friday night dinner is sorted!
Ingredients – serves 4
- 2 x tins of pulled Jackfruit
- Taco spice – I used Deliciou’s Taco Spice
- Smoky BBQ Sauce – any brand will do
How to Make
- Rinse the pulled jackfruit under cold water then place it in a bowl to shred. Don’t worry if there are large pieces, the rest will fall apart while cooking.
- In a large frypan heat up a splash of oil then add the jackfruit, stirring to make sure it cooks evenly for around 5 minutes
- Add two teaspoons of the taco spice and a quarter cup of the smoky BBQ sauce – stir in the sauce and spice until the jackfruit is evenly coated then turn down the heat to a low setting and stir for another 2-3 minutes
- Heat your tortillas in a dry pan or on the BBQ (my chosen method so I can cook them all at once) for 20 seconds each side until lightly browned
Serve with your favourite sides. I made an easy guacamole with avocado, chili salt, and lime and some pickled cabbage – shred the cabbage with a half cup of red wine vinegar and two tablespoons of salt, leave to pickle for 15 minutes then drain the liquid.
These vegan tacos took 20 minutes all up making this one of my new favourite plant-based meals.