Nimble Make The Ultimate Sustainable Travel Accessory

tech for good

Kira Simpson

If I’m not at my desk, you’ll find me outdoors.

Most days I’m either at the beach, bushwalking or exploring new places. I also regularly travel to some pretty remote parts of Australia and around the world.

My love of being outside is matched only by my love of technology, particularly my phone. It serves as a GPS, source of information, notetaker and of course, camera. If it’s a full day excursion, my phone is often dead by lunchtime.

recycled portable charger

Since trees do not yet have charging bays, the simple solution to this problem (and one I’m embarrassed to admit I had not thought of until now) is to carry a portable charger with me.

Nimble sustainable charger

Sponsored by Nimble

Nimble = tech for good

There are plenty of portable charges on the market so what makes Nimble so special?

The B-Corp Certified company builds portable, and wireless charging devices made with organic hemp, recycled plastic, and plant-based plastic materials. The products are designed to have a minimal environmental impact, and ultimately a lower cost passed onto consumers as the sleek design means no excessive parts or packaging.

Welcome to the future of sustainable tech.

“Thoughtfully designed technology to simplify your life. Made with sustainable materials for lower environmental impact.”

The problem with e-waste

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian’s are among the highest users of technology in the world with less than 10% of our electronics being recycled. The remaining 90% destined for landfill still containing valuable materials that could have been re-used or recycled. Electronics can contain over 1,000 different substances including toxic metals such as lead, arsenic, and hexavalent chromium, which when dumped in landfill, leach into the soil impacting the surrounding environment.

“We make products with fewer, better materials that don’t destroy the planet.”

Tech companies like Nimble recognise the value of closed-loop initiatives through reusing or recycling old products to create something new. Committed to reducing their environmental impact, Nimble use recycled and compostable packaging to ship their products. Each order comes with a pre-paid return bag so you can send your old electronics directly to their recycling partner. For every product sold, Nimble recycle 1 pound of e-waste with the aim of reducing the amount ending up in landfills.

Nimble Portable charger

I have the eight-day fast, portable charger, chosen mostly for multi-day trips where I won’t have access to power. The charger gives up to 8 full phone charges for all smartphones and USB devices. The charger also contains three ports, so you can charge multiple devices at one time.

I love the sleek design, and functionally, it works as a charger should. The only downside for me is the weight. At 460 grams, it’s a little heavier than I would like for my handbag, but in a backpack, you hardly feel it. I love my tech so it feels good to know I can now find travel accessories to suit my lifestyle and values.

You can shop Nimble’s range here, which also includes wireless chargers and extra accessories.

sustainable portable charger
Nimble charger

Kira Simpson

Kira Simpson is an environmentalist and sustainability expert. She started The Green Hub as a blog in 2015, which has since grown to become one of Australia’s largest education sites dedicated to helping people live a more sustainable lifestyle.